Monday, June 17, 2013

Fun Weekend & Taking Inventory

I hope that everyone had a blessed Father's Day weekend.  I had the privilege of getting to celebrate Father's Day twice.  On Saturday, Jordan and I went to his parents and celebrated with some fabulous BBQ and then on Sunday we made steaks, grilled potatoes and a Caesar salad.  For dessert we split a red velvet cupcake from Central Market - YUM!

So the title of this post is "Fun Weekend & Taking Inventory."  The "Taking Inventory" is the part that I want to really write about today.  What I am talking about when I say "taking inventory" refers back to number 3 in my previous post.  When I decided to really focus on "shopping from my pantry and freezer," I literally took inventory.  Below are some of the items that I found and I added to the stockpile over the weekend...

1. Thin Spaghetti
2. 1 full box Orzo
3. 1 whole bag Egg Noodles
4. 2 new boxes Whole Grain Penne
5. Half box Whole Wheat Rotini
6. Box of Ranch and Bacon Pasta Salad
7. Whole new container of Arborio Rice (used for risotto)
8. White Rice
9. Macaroni Shaped Noodles
10. 4 BBQ Sauces
11. Large jar of Chunky Salsa
12. New bag of Strawberry Granola
13. Chocolate Family-Sized Brownie Mix
14. 2 Holiday Funfetti  Cake/Cupcake Mixes
15. 9 packets of Pancake Mix (each makes about 3 pancakes)
16. Bin of onions (pulled from garden)
17. Bin of red potatoes (pulled from garden)
18. 1 bag frozen Cranberries
19. 1 loaf of frozen Honey Wheat Bread
20. 11 frozen meat pies
21. 4 servings of frozen Tamales
22. 2 bags frozen pasta sauce
23. 10 lbs frozen chicken breasts
24. 1 bag frozen green beans
25. 1 bag frozen blackberries
26. Half bag of frozen peach slices
27. Garlic Cheddar Biscuits frozen
28. Frozen Pumpkin Pie Drop Cookies
29. 1 lb frozen Ground Beef
30. Half a bag of frozen Pitted Cherries
31. Frozen Chopped onions
32. 1 can Frozen Apple Juice
Added over the weekend (We received for our 9 year anniversary a gift card to Central Market as well as a new cookbook by Curtis Stone, and we decided to stock up on some beef - usually something that I skimp on because of cost.):
33. 5 lbs frozen Ground Sirloin
34. 3/4 lbs Ground Bison
35. 2 lbs frozen Rump Roast

So you might be sitting there thinking "Gosh, she must hoard food!"  I really don't there are pictures below to prove it.  Sometimes I will buy things in bulk when there is a really great deal (like the chicken) because I know that we will use it.  The meat pies and tamales are left over from me filling our freezer before we had our baby.  Just to prove that the above doesn't "look like" as crazy amount, I have the below pictures as proof.



As you can see, things don't look too overly cluttered.  After I had the list of food items that are in my pantry/freezer, I created a list of food ideas that I could make for meals.  Some of the ideas were pretty obvious.  Below is the list that that I came up with.

Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Sauce (thank you Miranda Johnston)
Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken (thank you Miranda Johnston)
Yogurt with Granola for Breakfast
Pancakes with blackberry or peach sauce
Homemade potato chips for a snack
Tamales with Cilantro Lime Rice or Spanish Rice
Homemade Mac 'N Cheese
Homemade Pot Pie
Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
Garlic Lime Chicken
Cranberry Muffins
Honey BBQ Meatloaf (thank you Miranda Johnston)
Pasta with homemade sauce

The above are just a few ideas that I came up with.  My main goal is to really try to clear out the fridge/pantry so that I am not wasting.  Yes, I will still have to go shopping for side dishes for meals and for some of the ingredients needed to make the recipes (example: I don't have the pretzels for the Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken).  And, if there is a great deal on something that is a staple around our house, then I will be purchasing it as well.  The goal is to spend less when I do go grocery shopping.  Knowing what is in your freezer/pantry/fridge can really help you reduce your grocery bill.  Are you doing anything to reduce your bill or do you do something similar to this?  I will post my recipe for Chicken Pot Pie later this week.  It is on the menu for Friday...

No comments: